Monday 27 October 2008

Folding Pages

Oh Monday Monday. Always comes around a little too soon. The clocks went back yesterday day though, so technically I did have an extra long Sunday. Whoop.

I had the joys of no electricity for most of Saturday - there is a big building site at the end of my road and they managed to cut through a power cable leaving me powerless from 9am til about 4pm. I really didn't realise how much we rely on power.. I couldn't drink tea, do my washing, clean my house, put the heating on, have a shower or watch continuous episodes of ER on dvd. So with my Saturday plans gone, I decided I'd do something old fashioned that didn't require electricity.. I'd go buy a jigsaw! I've been getting very addicted to jigsaws again recently after helping a friend with a stupidly hard one of a Koala. Then I found this website... Jigzone oh deary me... addicted, me?



So this weekend, could I find a real life jigsaw to do? No I could not. Is it too old fashioned? Are the lo-fi versions of everything slowly being made obsolete? For example, I'm still really unconvinced by eReaders. I like the feeling of a book in my hand, turning the pages, bending the spine for the first time and getting that really satisfying crease down the middle. I'm a page folder when it comes to books, I mark my place by folding down the corner of the page. I don't believe in keeping books pristine - I like my books to be well-read, thumbed and scruffy. I can't imagine reading a book from a little computer screen.. ugh!

Oh well, I'm not going to give up my quest to find a shop that still sells Jigsaws... I'm probably just looking in the wrong place. Anyway... I did notice that there is an online shop on the Jigzone website that sells them. Is that cheating?

3 comments:

Gav said...

I'm pretty sure Woolies still sell jigsaws...

I once spent a whole summer doing jigsaws and writing an adventure game. I was 17. Seems kind of a waste now - it was sunny outside, but I only went out and saw people at weekends.

Nevertheless, I finished that jigsaw puzzle - it was of a kitty!

Juniper said...

right, i'm on my way to woolies later!! their website has only jigsaw books...(no idea what they are!)

I was trying charity shops as I liked the idea of a used and loved one - but knowing my luck there would be pieces missing :(

Should have known it would have been of a kitty!

Gav said...

Also, The Entertainer in Queen's Arcade has hundreds, I went in there at lunchtime

It's on the ground floor, near the post office